With millions of diners, tens of thousands of restaurants, and 23+ years of experience, OpenTable, part of Booking Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: BKNG), is an industry leader with a unique insight into the world of hospitality. We champion restaurants, bars, wineries, and other venues around the world, helping them attract guests, manage capacity, improve operations and maximize revenue.
Every employee at OpenTable has a tangible impact on what we do and how we do it. You’ll also be part of a global network that includes OpenTable and KAYAK's portfolio of travel brands including Swoodoo, checkfelix, momondo, Cheapflights, Mundi and HotelsCombined.
Hospitality is all about taking care of others, and it defines our culture. You’ll work in a welcoming and inclusive environment, and get the benefits, flexibility, and support you need to succeed.
The Restaurant Platform and Guest Team is focused on expanding the OpenTable network to include millions of restaurants worldwide. We are building the tools and services needed to grow the company from hundreds of new restaurants per month to tens of thousands of restaurants per month over the next few years.
You will be responsible for building this next-generation restaurant growth engine for OpenTable. That includes a product experience to replace the manual onboarding process, supporting scalable strategies to acquire content, implementing growth tactics to improve the conversion rates of acquisition flows, and running A/B tests on every step in the process.
At OpenTable, we take pleasure in Software Design. We believe that velocity comes from a commitment to clean code and solid engineering principles. We’re looking for software developers who can create an attractive, reliable, fast, and usable product. If you are excited by constantly challenging engineering processes and can deliver exceptional quality in a fast-paced, agile environment, we'd like to meet you. Bonus points if you love restaurants too!
In this role you will:
- Work closely with product and design partners to form the vision for the product and devise a strategy to get there
- Mentor and support the other engineers on the team, and work with other teams when necessary to keep your team moving quickly
- A focus on backend technologies with exposure to the full-stack of technologies we use
- Help design and build the tools, and elements for a scalable and intuitive onboarding process; from initial contact, to installation, to renewal. This could include: target acquisition, customer sign-up, account activation, user training, reporting dashboards, ongoing CRM, and customer retention.
- There will be a focus on web development, but you will also be working with our mobile team to ensure that the solution you help define scales across all hardware
- You envision and implement meaningful design, clean code, and easy-to-use interfaces
- You value speed and efficiency in your work; we move quickly with 1-2 week sprints and believe strongly in TDD and automated testing to help maintain our quality and velocity. We occasionally break things - and that’s fine. We learn from it.
- You are looking for a greenfield challenge with senior visibility and support and where you can define the architecture and approach.
- You have a strong opinion about the product and care about impacting customers and OpenTable’s business
- You know how to balance new information from our customers against technical debt to maintain long‐term efficiency
Please apply if you have:
- 5-8+ years experience as a Software Engineer with considerable exposure to solving web‐scale problems and 3+ years of Java programming experience.
- Successful history working with development teams in an agile format, especially in a leadership capacity
- Experience working on growth or acquisition-focused teams (extra points if B2B focused)
- Comfort building a new product from scratch and integrating with new and legacy company services
- Solid knowledge of server‐side web technologies, preferably Java Spring/SpringBoot
- Experience working within a distributed REST-based SOA architecture
- Experience building an automation‐focused culture, both in testing and build/deploy
Familiarity with REST, Docker, Postgres, MongoDb, node.js and other technologies
A few of the benefits you get at OpenTable—
- Work from (almost) anywhere; wherever you do your best work
- Focus on mental health and well-being
- Company paid therapy sessions through SpringHealth
- Company paid subscription to HeadSpace
- Company-wide weeks off each year - the whole team fully recharges (and returns without a pile-up of work!)
- Generous paid parental leave
- Generous paid vacation + time off for your birthday
- Paid volunteer time
- Health, dental & vision plans
- 401k with company match
- Focus on your career growth
- Enriched learning and development opportunities
- Leadership development
- Access to thousands of on-demand e-learnings
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
OpenTable aspires to be a workplace that reflects the diverse communities we serve and a culture that is inclusive and welcoming. Hiring people with different backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ideas is critical to innovation and to how we deliver great experiences for our users and our partners. Representation matters.
We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform job responsibilities, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
“Remote work allowed”